Friday, June 1, 2007

What This WebLog is About

Welcome! Thanks for dropping by. This is a blog for Orange Ox and me to share our experiences, and the sights and sounds we see in and around Singapore. We've been here a good many years, so we each have our point of view and experiences to share. So, pull up a chair and enjoy!

I'm going to start off by introducing myself. I was born in east Malaysia. Kuching, Sarawak to be precise. I came over to Singapore to get my bachelor's degree in applied science from Nanyang Technological University in the late 1990's. I took a 3-year course in computer engineering, found a job here after graduation, and I've been here since. I'm now happily married with 2 children. :D

One of the biggest adjustments I had to make in coming over was concerning food. Because my favourite foods were unique to Kuching. These are things I simply MUST have at least twice a week. I remember I suffered from laksa withdrawal the first few months. Sarawak laksa is one of my favourite dishes. The laksa is Singapore is more akin to curry noodles. Speaking of noodles... they didn't have the type I liked. Kolo mee, wherefore art thou?

Of course, nowadays, you can get Sarawak laksa and kolo mee in Singapore. I think it's due to the influx of Sarawakians coming to work in Singapore. I used to frequent the coffee shop at Bedok (near bus interchange, next to library, facing the road) where the laksa is quite good. And I heard a few other places have started selling them as well. I've eaten the one at the Park Mall coffee shop at B1 once or twice. These places also sell kolo mee. And Jia Xiang, which has opened shops in Chinatown and Vivocity, also sell kolo mee. But their prices kind of put me off.

As you can see, I'll be posting quite a bit about food in my future posts. :)

I'm going to get Orange Ox to give a short intro as well and we'll begin posting in earnest after that. Until next time!

2 comments:

Sivasothi said...

Interesting blog , will grab the feed!

duckling said...

Thanks! We'll strive harder!