Saturday, June 9, 2007

My First Car Inspection In Singapore


A few weeks back, LTA (Land Transport Authority of Singapore) sent me a letter notifying me to take my car for inspection before the 13 July. After delaying it for a few weeks, I took my car to VICOM Kaki Bukit for an inspection on Saturday. I went early at 8:30am to avoid the queue. The place was pretty easy to find; there were signs everywhere leading to the centre. When I got there, I found myself greeted by 4 mechanic guys in dark blue uniform. One of them pointed to the Cashier and told me to make payment first. I went to the cashier booth and paid $60.09 by NETS (Network For Electronic Transfers). When I turn around to go back to my car, the mechanics had already driven my car into the testing lanes and began inspecting. One of the mechanics saw me and told me to go to the left, along the testing lane. I was able to watch the whole inspection process. In less than 5 minute later, the inspection was completed. I collected the Test Certificate and was able to go home. I didn’t expect it to be so efficient and fast.

When I came to Singapore, for a few years, one of the things I missed was driving a car. In Australia, I passed my driving exam at 17 and after that, I rarely took public transport. Our family had two cars that were shared between my father, sister and myself.

In Singapore, to convert a foreign driving licence of a Singaporean driving licence, I just had to pass the basic theory exam and to show some proof to the officer at the Traffic Police that I have been driving for a long period of time. I remember buying the basic theory driving study booklet at Popular bookshop, studying its content for one week, booking my exam at SSDC (Singapore Safety Drving Centre Ltd) at Ang Mo Kio and going for the exam after work. The exam consisted of all multiple choose questions. After the exam, a month later, I received a letter congratulating me that I have passed the exam. With my exam results, I went to the traffic police at Euros, along with my Australian driving licence and letter from the Dept of Main Roads (Queensland's motoring authority) to do the conversion. Now I could legally driving in Singapore. But I didn’t have a car for awhile.

It wasn’t until my 5th year in Singapore that I bought a car. As you know, owning a car is expensive compared to most other countries. The petrol, insurance, inspections, parking fees, maintainance, ERP (Electronic Road Pricing), road tax, car washing are some of the things to look forward to.

No comments: