Thursday, June 7, 2007

View at City Hall

Singapore, the concrete jungle? This place is so different from my place of birth. Back home, the people are more laid back, and buildings didn't need to reach for the skies.

At first, I thought the closely built buildings and small apartment homes would conspire to suffocate me. And there was very little privacy. Over the years, this has become the norm for me. My personal space has decreased, and concrete walls are now more comforting.

Today I met a friend from back home, who was in town for business reasons. While I was showing him around, he commented that the escalators in the malls and train stations were moving faster than he was used to. Was it because people here are in much more of a hurry to get places? No, I hadn't really noticed, I told him.

Actually, upon reflection, I find myself walking a lot more briskly since being here. After all, there are places to go and things to do. Maybe that's why I didn't notice, I've blended into the pack. Sometimes, I catch myself getting irritated when my progress is impeded by people who hog hallways, stairs or escalators. I have pedestrian rage!

We later went up to my friend's room on the 54th floor of Swissotel the Stamford, as he mentioned he had a good view of the city. I only had my handphone, but I took a few shots anyway. I've uploaded the photos here, and a few in this blog post itself.

This one is a photo of the church which was renovated/extended not too long ago. Sanctuary right in the middle of the jungle. I don't need to be a believer to appreciate the structure's elegance.

And here is a photo with the Esplanade in the center. The sea and bay area are also visible. In the years to come, this place will see many changes.

Anyway, I parted with my friend after an unspectacular dinner at the Raku Ninja restaurant in CitiLink. Incidentally, if you were wondering about this restaurant, let me sum it up as: very dim lighting, inexperienced staff, mediocre ramen, not interested to try the other menu items.

I'll see if I can get some photos at night as well and post them at a later date, because even concrete can be beautiful.

No comments: