Sunday, June 3, 2007

PC Show 2007

This week, PC Show 2007 is being held at Suntec City. I was there briefly yesterday so I wanted to post about it here first. I would have stayed longer but I was carrying my daughter and the place was so crowded that when she started crying I just had no choice but to leave. :(

My family and I went via MRT to City Hall station. From the moment we stepped out of the station we knew it would be crowded. There was a Sony booth set up in CitiLink itself to hawk their digital cameras and video cameras. HD ready digital video cameras costing upwards of SGD1000 with various storage options (mini DV, DVD, HDD) were on display.



I took a picture (above) of the Sony booth. It also shows the exodus of people through CitiLink to Suntec City. Apparently PC and IT related exhibitions are very popular with Singaporeans. :)

When we reached Suntec City, we could see unending streams of people moving up and down the escalators with wardens positioned to direct traffic. It was... daunting, to say the least. After reaching the sixth floor and seeing the crowd, my wife gave up and took my son off to go window shopping downstairs instead.

I didn't get to see all the booths, but I did get to take a few pictures.



Here is Samsung's booth, promoting their HD TVs. HD is getting a lot of exposure as the next big thing in media. I didn't get to see any HD DVD or Blu Ray players. Actually I'm not sure how readily available HD content is yet, so I'm not sure what the people who bought these TVs will be watching. MaxTV's Discovery HD?


Dell made an appearance, and people were buying. I see people carrying Dell bags. Is Dell's online business model starting to show signs of inadequacy? Recently Dell started selling PCs with Ubuntu loaded instead of Windows as well. But, I digress. There were a lot of other big and small players selling their PCs, laptops and portable media players. Not really very cheap, maybe about SGD100 off the prices you get outside.


Here's a picture of Acer's DLP setup. I could consider getting one myself. :)

As I ran out of the exhibition area with a squirming 9-month old on my shoulders, I pondered the question: Why does PC Show pull such a large crowd? You can see families, and ordinary joes of all ages at the show. I think the answer is because Singaporeans are all gadget freaks. Young and old, male or female, whether they need it or not, having the best in technology can be a real show of status, or just a sign you know how to pamper yourself. Not that I'm complaining... I love the same things too.

No comments: